Monday, June 22, 2009

The Bachelor

10/19/97 5:17 p.m.
**Special note: This entry written before I included the day of the week of the entry consistently and neurotically)**

Ooooh Bobby! We just saw BOBBY at Tower Records! Ooh, Bobby! Okay, I will now relate to you BOBBY STORY #3 .. OOH BOBBY!

We're in East Lansing. I was pretty much psychotic and saw Donny's balding head in every car on the road. Well, we were heading back to Scott's house, and I'm like "We HAVE to go to Tower!" And Scott said he wanted to look at something, too. Cat & I disbanded, and, like I always do when I go into Tower (not that often), I instinctually and instantly went back to the music mags section. So I'm looking at the categories for the other mags, and Cat's walking ahead of me, and I look back at the zines, and what would you know -- BOBBY!!! I'm like, under my breath, "Cat, it's Bobby, it's Bobby!" We turn around in an immature fit of giggles and into the opposite direction. Needless to say, it was an endless comedy of errors, constantly running from Bobby.

Finally, Cat's mom says, "I'm leaving." So we walk out hesitantly. I made a motion with my hands and said, "Well, Cat, there's another opportunity you let slip through your fingers." Suddenly, as if catching a new confidence, she's like, "That's it. I'm talking to him." She went back in ahead of me, and goes in. She said, "Hey Bobby!" and waved at him. So, here's some random conversation bits:

Me: You know, I was on a field trip over here in Lansing and I saw your mom.
Bobby: Oh really? At the.. thing?
Me: Yeah.
Bobby: How'd you know she was my mom?
Me & Cat: Well, she had the same last name as you..
Me: And then she started talking about how her son had just signed a million dollar record contract and she was passing around a really bad picture of you...
Bobby: Yeah, it figures.

* * * *
Bobby: (Wearing light blue shirt, really weird polyester black pants, perfect white teeth)
Bobby: So, what are you guys doing in Lansing?
Cat: Visiting my brother.
Bobby: What's your brother doing around here?
Cat: He goes to school here.
Me: Actually, Cat called me up and she's like, "Hey Cat--"
Cat: Cat?
Me: "Aaaaah! Hey Beth, I heard that Bobby Guiney is gonna be at Tower Records in East Lansing at (Bobby and I both look at our watches) 4:50 p.m.
Yeah, we totally planned it.

Seriously, that line kind of makes me want to die inside a little bit. - Future self

Bobby: So, did you guys have a good time at the concert?
Me: Definitely.
Cat: Yeah, it was great -- I was almost crying during "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," it was so good.
Bobby. Wow! Were you guys surprised when we came out?
Me: No.
Cat: I was...
Me: You know the girl who had the bracelet with "I <3>
Bobby: Yeah.
Me: Well, she thru it on stage, and Brad read it..
Cat: But Donny didn't see it.
Me: Yeah.
Bobby: Oh, That's Funny.
Me: Ya Know, I heard your song "Fortunate" and I listened to it, like, 50 times.
Bobby (confuzzled): Really? Where'd you hear it?
Me: Oh.. uh.. (I hadn't forgotten it, my mouth just couldn't form the words).. Radioactive.
Bobby: Oh. (Seemed bitter like they shouldn't have played it)
Cat: Well, we gotta go cause my mom's waiting outside. See you later.

I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but at one point Cat told Bobby "My mom thought you were gay." Little did she know he was married, but would later divorce her and go on a TV show and not find anyone until later on when he becomes an official B-list celebrity. Seriously, though, obviously he was one of the nicest people ever, as he talked to us for way longer than he needed to, and allow me to point out was far nicer to me than Fred EVER was, but maybe that's because I wasn't undressing him with my eyes on a daily basis. I digress.

No comments: